The showplace, gourmet or commercial kitchen of the 1990s has been replaced in the kitchen design trends for 2018 by a strong emphasis on functionality. According to the latest reports, kitchen renovation in the 21st century reflects demand for open designs for better sightlines and traffic patterns plus environmentally-conscious materials. No longer just a room to prepare meals, the kitchen is the hub of daily activity in Madison WI and across the country.
Adoption of these kitchen design trends varies with the age of the people doing the planning. Older people in older homes may be looking to achieve different goals than younger families. “Millennials” – ages 25 to 34 – are likely to choose either a very modern style or at the other end of the scale a farmhouse style. Baby boomers – age 55 and older – usually stick with a more traditional style. No matter what the age group, today’s kitchen renovation is designed around easy access, efficient work spaces and low-maintenance materials. The kitchen of today must be user-friendly.
Kitchen Design Trends Reflect Lifestyles
More than décor considerations go into a kitchen renovation. While good looks are a significant factor, kitchen design trends reflect concern for individual health and an overall healthy lifestyle. For many, that translates to getting back to what they perceive as simpler times. The low-stress, easy-access designs of a contemporary “farmhouse-style” kitchen have caught on coast-to-coast. A 19th or 20th century farmhouse appeals to people even though they may have never set foot in a real one. And, while designers talk of farmhouse amenities, home owners don’t want to give up the latest in technical features.
Today’s farmhouse kitchens feature unique countertops and conservative color schemes among the most sought after elements. Among more than 3,000 people in the midst of a major kitchen renovation, the top kitchen design trends they were incorporating into their plans were:
- The Farmhouse-style as the new look, especially among younger homeowners.
- New paint is still the most popular building block for a change, followed by the addition of ceramic or porcelain tiles.
- Neutral colors are popular choices with gray heading the list.
- Traditional, contemporary designs are the most popular overall – reflecting a desire to renovate rather than create an all-new look.
- New countertops are the most sought-after change. Granite is the overwhelming choice, but quartz countertops reflect a growing demand, with butcher block wooden counters a solid third.
- Reflecting the latest kitchen design trends, decorative and functional backsplash installations and designer sinks are also in demand.
- Old kitchen cabinets are often on the “must go” list. White is the most popular cabinet color for younger remodelers, followed by gray. Wooden styles remain very popular for a traditional look, with darker woods favored over lighter.
- The emphasis is on maximizing storage and easy access. Pullout shelving, specialized installations like revolving corner shelves and cookie tray spaces or wine racks are all popular.
- New lighting is a high priority in the form of additional windows or skylights for natural light plus new fixtures – doing away with one of the most common and frustrating “dead spots” in a kitchen work space.
- The kitchen island is a high priority – incorporating storage with increased convenience and additional working space.
- Stainless steel appliances are No. 1 by a wide margin. The standard silver finish is preferred by most, but black stainless steel is among the latest trends.
Kitchen Design Impacts the Entire Family
Kitchens are the focal point of family activities. Studies show that formal dining areas things of the past. The kitchen is where daily activities get started, they are the entertaining center for gatherings, the food preparation area, a convenient space for homework or as a home office. A kitchen renovation that’s open within view of the rest of the house is inviting and user-friendly. The latest kitchen design trends enhance the value of the home – in the way the family uses the renovated space and when it comes to selling the house.
Make the Most of Kitchen Design Trends
When you’re ready to take on a kitchen renovation or just thinking about the possibilities, it’s wise to work with a knowledgeable source of all kitchen design and remodeling trends. Sims Exteriors & Remodeling fields a team of experts in all phases of the remodeling business throughout greater Dane County, including Middleton, Waunakee, Fitchburg, Oregon Verona, McFarland, Stoughton, Cottage Grove, Sun Prairie and Deforest.
Contact Sims Exteriors and Remodeling at 608-825-4500, or email us for assistance in developing your kitchen renovation ideas incorporating the latest kitchen design trends into your Madison WI home.